Credit By Exam/Exam for Acceleration Information
Credit by exam (CBE) is available for students who failed a course and can be taken only for an original credit.
- A student in grades 6‐12 will be given credit for an academic subject if the student scores 70% or above on each of the criterion‐referenced examinations for the applicable course. Credit will be given and the examination score will be entered on the student’s transcript.
- It is not recommended to gain credit by such an examination if the course grade is less than 60% in the course failed. Students may not attempt to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course more than two times.
- Students who have already earned a credit for specific high school course cannot take CBE to pull up her/his GPA.
Exam for acceleration (EA) is available for students who want to skip each of the following areas: English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies.
- To earn a credit students need to score 80% or above for EA.
- Students may take a specific examination only once during each window. Students may not attempt to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course more than two times.
- Credits obtained through EA (without instruction) will not be calculated for GPA and class rank.
Students are required to register for CBE/EA at least one month prior to first day of testing (or CBE/EA window). Parents/Students need a counselor (and/or Campus CBE coordinator) approval to order a CBE. Once approved, parents/students pay a fee (only for credit recovery / fee subject to change) per semester course. There is no fee for taking Exam for Acceleration.
No Prior Instruction Credit Exams
Students who have had no prior instruction in a course will be awarded credit for the applicable course if the student receives one of the following scores:
- Three or high on an AP exam
- A scaled score of 50 or higher on a CLEP exam
- Credits obtained through AP or CLEP exams will not be calculated for GPA or class rank.
- HSI-Sugar Land will not accept scores of testing completed outside of our campus scheduled testing window without prior written approval from his/her assigned counselor and campus testing coordinator.
- The student is only allowed one attempt at a course exam.
- All sessions are to test out of the following school year. Deadline to complete a test is July 25th for the upcoming school year. Deadline to register is no later than about a month before due date of each test.
- A ‘No Show’ is considered an attempt for a CBE score. Students who do not appear for their scheduled exam are not eligible to register for the same exam the same school year.
- Students can test multiple subjects in one session, they just cannot take multiple levels of the same subject in one session.
- Art and PE – No CBE Testing will be offered. Art and PE courses must be taken on the campus.